I’m David Raitt, curator of Improv Illusionist. Thanks for stopping by!
I’ve been performing and teaching improv for over 25 years. I especially love physical comedy and helping improvisers learn those skills.
My Improv Illusionist book is coming in mid-2023. (Subscribe to my newsletter for book updates, improv news, and exclusive resources.)
Here’s a little about how I got here…
In school, I studied Cognitive Science and then Law. As it turned out, I got better job training writing sketches for the law school variety show than from the classes.
In 1996, I started taking improv classes at The Second City (Toronto). By 2000, I’d been hired into their Canadian National Touring Company. I also joined the Mainstage ensemble for several extended contracts. Over many years with The Second City, I performed in 11 revues. I was also on the Training Centre Education faculty for 17 years.
Today I live in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. I’m a proud member of the Oakville Improv Theatre Company. We do monthly Theatresports and Maestro shows and random experimental stuff. I’ve also performed, written, and/or directed several “beat-prov” shows, including Rudolph the Oakville Reindeer, A Scrooge-ball Comedy, Heisterical, and Holiday Countdown.
Workshops and Coaching
I offer specialty workshops in environment, object work, and physicality. I’m also available to coach troupes and individual performers. For business teams and students, I teach communication skills through improv. Online services are available (except for physical improv workshops, which are in-person only). Visit my personal improv website for information.
For a FREE introduction to Physical Improv, check out my Learning the Improv Illusion series.
- I’ve been thrilled to perform on stage with distinguished Second City alumni, including Joe Flaherty and Colin Mochrie. Also, I appeared solo as the opening act for the legendary comic duo The Smothers Brothers. (Still can’t figure out how I landed that gig.)
- I write and perform sketch comedy and have produced three independent shows:
- Workaholics: Scenes from the Office Grind
- ALL THE RAGE (nominated for a 2008 Canadian Comedy Award, One-Person Show)
- Between Commutes (a “Patron’s Pick” at Toronto Fringe 2008)
- I love movies and have been a film critic for Metroland Media Group.
- Away from improv, I’m also a Copywriter & Content Marketing Consultant.
Cool Links to other David Raitt projects
- The Bigger Bang – A science-fiction comedy podcast produced in association with Oakville Improv. Much like the original The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Among many roles, I play the endearingly cranky Professor Feynstein. Produced completely in-house by our amazing team!
Learning the Improv Illusion
A free series introducing the techniques of Physical Improv.